In this episode, we discuss the S-Curve of Growth framework and how it can be used as a compass on your career journey. We share personal experiences on how the S-Curve has helped us reflect on our careers in order to determine when it is time to apply to jobs, ask for promotions, and new opportunities for career growth.
Call To Action
- First, you have to evaluate where you’re at today in regards to the S-Curve
- The base is the starting point – starting a position with a lot of potential to learn
- The slope up is the growth section – in a current position where you’re being challenged and gaining tons of experience
- The top is mastery/stagnation – mastered your position and no longer feel challenged
- If you’re at the base or slope, keep going and try to learn as much as you can… milk that as much as possible!
- If you’re at the top and feel like you’re stagnating, how can you be proactive and create a new challenge for yourself?
- Ask for a promotion – ex: IC —> Manager
- Change departments or projects – ex: Client Marketing —> Brand Marketing
- Change jobs – Sometimes you outgrow a company and need a new one with bigger challenges
Tools & Content Mentioned
- Article: Why your high-performing employees may be slowly disengaging from work
- Article: Shaping individual development along the S-curve
- Podcast: Ep 34: Build An Edge in Your Career Through Talent Stacking
- Podcast: Ep 39: How to Leverage Stress to Boost Performance
- Books Mentioned on Management